The PMSC Coaches Portal is a great resource for new and experienced coaches...
The Coaches Portal is a work-in-progress. We will continue to update with new and fresh content as we receive it. If you have any tips or tricks that you would like to share, please e-mail us at webmaster/at/portmoodysoccer.com.
The Science of Rondo Curriculum *NEW*
The Port Moody Soccer Club has implemented the "The Science of Rondo" as it's baseline player development curriculum. If one had to define “Rondo” it would be as follows: Rondo is a training game in which the group who is possession has a numerical advantage. Rondo can be as little as 3 v 1 to 10 v 2 over another group of players. The objective of the group in possession is to keep the ball away from the defenders, while the defenders objective is to win the ball.
Rondo is different than other possession drills because the players take up a pre-set space in the circle rather than roaming all over. Many possession drills will have players move to spaces that relate more to the movements of a regular game. However, some of the rondo variations do involve movements out of the pre-set typical rondo spaces.
- EQUIPMENT REQUEST FORM
Equipment Request Form
- COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT FORM
PMSC Coaches Code of Conduct
The athlete/coach relationship is a privileged one. Coaches play a critical role in the personal as well as athletic development of their athletes. The Board of Directors of Port Moody Soccer Club (PMSC) has developed this Code of Conduct to clarify and distinguish approved and accepted professional and ethical behaviour from that which is detrimental to the development of the sport of soccer. (The term “Coach” shall include, but is not limited to Head Coach, Assistant Coach(s), Manager/Trainer and or Team Representative).
To clarify expectations of coaching conduct, the PMSC jointly expect all coaches to conform to this code of conduct.
- I will conduct myself in the best interests of Port Moody Soccer Club, putting the Club’s and player’s interests ahead of any personal or team interests. I will ensure I support the Club and its activities.
- I will set clear expectations for players, parents & coaches prior to the start of the season
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will follow PMSC policies, in the event a policy is unclear, I will contact the PMSC Executive to clarify the issue. I will do my upmost to learn PMSC policies.
- I will follow PMSC player development philosophy as outline by the Technical Director.
- I will be reasonable in my demands on the player’s time, energy and enthusiasm. I will be aware that they have other interests and obligations, including school and will conduct and organize training sessions in a manner that ensures academic success.
- I will never place the value of winning over the safety and welfare of players.
- I will teach my players that the rules of the game are mutual agreements, which no one should evade or break.
- I will never engage in harassment or physical abuse of team members, game officials, or opposition and support all efforts to remove such abuse from sporting activities. (Harassment takes many forms but can generally be defined as behaviour, including comments and/or conduct which is insulting, intimidating, humiliating, hurtful, malicious, degrading or otherwise offensive to an individual, or group of individuals, or which creates an uncomfortable environment).
- I will remember that athletes need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise, lead by example, and provide all feedback in a constructive, positive manner.
- I will conduct a reasonable inspection of the playing field and of the equipment before each game or practice.
- I will not knowingly let an injured player take part in a game or practice session without the advice of a physician.
- In age appropriate circumstances, following practices and/or games, I will release players only to parents, adult family members or other responsible persons.
- I will provide a current Criminal Record Check in a timely manner.
- I will at no time become intimately and/or sexually involved with any player registered on a PMSC team. This includes requests for sexual favours or threat of reprisal for the rejection of such requests made to players or their parents.
- I will not engage in personal communications with a player on non-soccer related issues in written, verbal or electronic manner
- I will follow the Fair Play Philosophy which states that ALL players are entitled to play a minimum of one half of every game.
I further understand that I not only represent my players and team, but also the club (PMSC), in games and tournaments, and will conduct myself accordingly. I understand that the Coach, Assistant Coaches, Team Managers, Team Officials and parents will be held accountable by the Board for our actions and behaviors throughout the season. I further understand that the PMSC Executive and the Club will monitor our behaviour and will take appropriate action to uphold this Code of Conduct. Members who are sanctioned under this policy may also be subject to the disciplinary rules of BC Soccer.
I agree to the following terms:
- I agree to abide by the PMSC Coaching Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that the PMSC may take disciplinary action against me, if I breach the Coaching Code of Conduct. (I understand that PMSC are required to implement a complaints handling procedure in accordance with the principles of natural justice, in the event of an allegation against me).
- I acknowledge that disciplinary action against me may include suspension of coaching privileges and de-registration from the PMSC.
- I acknowledge PMSC policies that are broken could result in the loss of both field time & officials
By submitting the your name, email below, you acknowledge and accept the above rules as written and will abide by them at all times.
- TONY WAITERS BYTE SIZED COACHING
Click here to log in to the Tony Waiters Byte Sized Coaching Programs.
Log In Details
- Username: email@example.com
- Password: bytesize
- COACHING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is Kick Start?
Kick Start is Port Moody Soccer Club’s U7 and under program for boys and girls.
- Who runs the Port Moody Soccer Club?
The Port Moody Soccer Club is predominantly run and managed by volunteers. Our club is run by our Board of Directors who provide long-term strategic vision as well as oversight for the day to day operations. We also have part-time paid staff including an Executive Director, Administrator, Webmaster, and our Technical Staff – but we minimize our paid positions to keep our registration costs low. Volunteers do everything from fundraising, to team photos, to hanging nets, to organizing equipment. For this reason, all families are asked to volunteer in some capacity. Individual teams need a Coach, Assistant Coach or Manager and help with providing oranges, planning events, etc. Please step forward when your coach asks for help!
- What equipment does the club provide?
The club provides soccer balls and other equipment for the coaches to use. Each player is provided with a uniform comprised of shirt, shorts and socks (that players must wear to all games). Players are to provide their own water bottle, shin pads, soccer boots/cleats (for games & 4v4), and running shoes (for indoor practices).
- I am looking for information about the 4v4 program, where do I look?
Information about the PMSC 4v4 program can be found on the following pages (note, schedules are the same on these pages):
- Training Schedules - a listing of all training schedules including 4v4 training schedules.
- Information about the 4v4 programs, click here.
If you have any further questions about the 4v4 program, please contact coach.
- How do I request a training time?
If you are a PMSC coach and are in need of an additional training time please follow the instructions below:
For all requests regarding teams on the GIRLS side - please contact VP Girls - Amy Hendriks
For all requests regarding teams on the BOYS side - please contact Boys Competitive Director - Johnny Millin
For all requests regarding teams on the ADULTS side - Please contact VP Adults - Larry Moro
- What is Kick Start?
- COACHING LINKS, SESSION PLANS & VIDEOS
Below are a list of various coaching plans and videos. The Port Moody Soccer Club wants to encourage all coaches to submit their own coaching resource links for us to review and consider adding to the website. If you have a link that you think would be useful for other coaches please send it along with a brief description to our Coaching Development Committee coachdev/at/portmoodysoccer.com
Player's / Child's Perspective
- Video - Kids talk about how they feel about their parents watching their sporting events
- Build a better connection with your athletes: ‘I wish my coach knew…’ - READ MORE
Communication / Coaching Philosophy
- Three questions that turn losing into learning - READ MORE
- Every word a coach says counts - READ MORE
- Ego in Coaching - Get over yourself - READ MORE
- The importance of truly understanding the player as an individual - READ MORE
- How to inspire good behaviour in your session - READ MORE
- Should we play one touch football? - READ MORE
- Assessment - Coaching’s invisible ingredient - READ MORE
Practice drills / Small-sided games
- Video: U14 Pressing in the final third (small sided game)
- Video: Technical Warm-up - pass and move
- Video: Sporting Lisbon 5v5+1
- UltimatePlayerHQ practice drills/sessions - MORE VIDEOS
- Animated: Effective practice design for 3-4-3
- Guardiola’s 4v4+3 - READ MORE
- Using Whole-Part-Whole and Carousel approach to coaching children aged 5 - 12 - READ MORE
- The PFA Coaching Practices - a library of drills for all aspects of the game - READ MORE
- The PFA - Level 2 Session Plans (attacking, defending & goalkeeping) - READ MORE
- The Coaching Family - Small Sided Games Sharing Booklet (2012) - READ MORE
- The Coaching Family - Warm-up Games Sharing Booklet (2012) - READ MORE
- Defending - 50+ Practices shared by the Coaching Family (2012) - READ MORE
- 80 Assorted Practices shared by The Coaching Family (2013) - READ MORE
- The Coaching Family - Pre-season Fitness Booklet (2013) - READ MORE
- SoccerXpert - Practice drills by age or drill type - READ MORE
- Soccer Coach Weekly - drills and skills (categorized by skill type, position or age) - READ MORE
Other - General Interest
- Ten tips for winter coaching - READ MORE
- The Boot Room - The FA’s official coaching magazine (includes sections on practice sessions) - READ MORE
- ESDF Analysis - Analysis of professional matches, set pieces and player performances, etc. - READ MORE
- Borussia Monchengladbach’s “zone-oriented man coverage” - READ MORE
- FIFA Youth Football Manual - An all inclusive global training framework, describing all aspects of youth training - READ MORE
- COACHING FORMS
Below are a list of forms from various leagues and districts.
2019 PMSC Uniform Sizing size: 638 KB
Coaches Code of Conduct size: 241 KB
CRC Letter size: 42 KB
PMSC U6 Coaches Checklist size: 73 KB
U11-U18 Coaches’ Manual size: 279 KB
U6-U7 KickStart Teams Coaches’ Manual size: 284 KB
U8-U10 Coaches’ Manual size: 405 KB
Possession Drills size: 238 KB
64 Small-Sided Soccer Games size: 14305 KB
The Seven Minute Drill size: 79 KB
FIFA Training the 11 plus size: 1243 KB
6-8 Year Old Training Drills size: 1264 KB
Activities & Games to Develop Skill size: 63 KB
Canada Soccer Active Start Coach Toolkit size: 9395 KB
Canada Soccer Pathway LTPD Community Guide size: 5570 KB
Coaching Books size: 26 KB
FIFA 11plus Manual size: 4423 KB
Incorporating the Goalkeeper into a Team Session size: 770 KB
Six of the Best U6 - U12 size: 669 KB
Small Sided Games - Soccer Coach size: 14305 KB
Small Sided Soccer - Development Manual size: 307 KB
Speed Ladder Drills size: 40 KB
Game Time Forms
TCYSA Forms (U8 - U12)
2018 Coastal Cup Game Sheet size: 15 KB
2018 Coastal Cup Rules size: 120 KB
TCYSA Small Sided Game Rules size: 394 KB
BCCGSL Forms (U12 - U18 Girls)
BC Soccer Criminal Record Check Policy - 2018 size: 149 KB
BCCSL Official Operating Rules for 2018/2019 size: 334 KB
BCCSL Intra-Club Permit (ICP) 2017 size: 91 KB
BCCSL-2018-19 Administrative Handbook size: 639 KB
BC Coastal Soccer League (Previously 5-District Soccer) Forms (U11 - U18 Boys)
BC Coastal Soccer Guide 2017-2018 size: 2365 KB